Thursday, May 21, 2009

Last Friday (the 15th) was JayC's hernia surgery. It was a success, but he had complications, once again, recovering from the anesthesia. From these experiences, we've determined that he is extra sensitive to anesthesia, and that the less he has to use, the better. This time, his left leg was still numb hours after the surgery. (Last time, his right lung was numb, so he had a hard time breathing.) The nurses were worried and brought in the doctor and anesthesiologists to consult with to try to figure out why his leg was still numb. They finally determined that it is one of those "rare" symptoms that were not reported for that drug since it only happened to one or only a few of the test subjects. It's interesting to me that they don't report all symptoms. Seems dishonest. I guess they'll do anything to get their drug sold. Anyway, so JayC had to stay overnight, and Connell and I had to find a place to stay for the night. The base hotel was booked, but we were able to find a place to stay at the Fisher House for free. They help out people like us with unplanned medical emergencies with no place to stay and little money to stay at a hotel off base. Pretty awesome. We had a large room with two beds, our own bathroom, and any of the food in the kitchen that we wanted. It was such a blessing! Connell and I were asleep by 8pm, since we had left our house at 3am to make it to the hospital by 6am for JayC's surgery. It was a very emotional day, and I hope we don't have to go through anything like that again anytime soon!

JayC regained feeling in his leg late that night, so we were able to get home the next day by early afternoon. What a relief that everything was okay with that! JayC has been in way more pain with this surgery than with his shoulder. He couldn't walk by himself the first day, and has slowly increased in movement each day. It's amazing how much we use the muscles in our stomach/groin just to move around. Connell's been confused about why he can't sit on Daddy's lap. Poor kid doesn't know what's going on! He was very relieved to be home. Luckily we took his blanket, so he had that for comfort while we were gone. So JayC is in constant pain for his hernia and still for his shoulder, but it seems to have lessened considerably. He's able to function on his own now, which is a relief to me. (Pain pills help too!) I got pretty overwhelmed the day we got home, so I called my Relief Society President to ask for some meals at least to help out. My visiting teachers quickly took over and made sure we had everything we needed. It's such a blessing to have people who will selflessly help out in situations like that. It helped relieve my stress and it's good for me to have to ask for help. I'm more proud than I think I am sometimes. So we have been incredibly blessed through this whole ordeal, and I'm thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who watches over us. I have had my testimony of serving strengthened this week.
Here are some random pictures of what Connell has been up to this week. He is truly the shining star of our life and my little angel!


I guess this is what he thought about trying to nap in the car during JayC's surgery!


First day of eating at the "big" table! Yesterday I took the chance, and he did awesome! He's eating pickles (his favorite) and applesauce. Mmm, good mix! I let him pick out what he wants to eat for snacks (he's very decisive about what he eats), so it makes for some interesting combinations! My little boy is so grown-up!


And this is Connell wearing Mom's apron around his waist like a skirt! He insisted. He loves that thing!

3 comments:

Emmy Montez said...

Haha. first of all, I love his face in the car...classic! What a big boy sitting at the table! That is fun. He is getting so big. I love the apron, little boys love to help out in the kitchen just as much as little girls.! Oh, I am so bummed you've had such a difficult time! Thank goodness for Relief Society! (the name says it all) I agree-so nice to have a resource of friendship/help wherever you go, I am so glad you asked for help. Love you katie, hang in there!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I am glad there was a Fisher House for you to stay at. I just found out about the Fisher House about a week ago! Good luck with all the recovery stuff. That does not sound fun!

Elizabeth C said...

Wow, that is so scary that he reacts to anesethesia that way! It sounds like Heavenly Father is really watching out for you though! Hope that he recovers quickly and well!

baby

Together Forever

Connell Celebration