Monday, May 11, 2015

The Hebdons' and the "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!!"

Callister asleep on the x-ray bed. Poor kid!
On Saturday, May 9th, I woke up and decided to take Caellum and myself to the Urgent Care, since he and I had been sick with sore throats and coughs for a week with no improvement. (I was afraid I had Strep throat.) Caellum also had a gunky, red eye. So we got ready and left the older boys home with dad and went. After about a half hour wait, which wasn't bad at all for a Saturday, we saw the very nice doctor and he diagnosed Caellum with pink eye and myself with a virus and bad allergies. (Thanks pregnancy!) Caellum had fallen asleep in the waiting room, which was nice so the dr. could poke and prod him without his knowledge! So I took him home and went to pick up his prescriptions at the store.  

Not long after I arrived home, I had just settled down for a nap. I was exhausted! Then, I heard a huge crash from the boys' room. I knew Callister and Caellum were in there playing. It sounded like the bookcase had just tipped over. I ran into the room to find Callister and Caellum both lying on the floor, crying. Callister had climbed up the bookcase to get something off the top of Connell's bunk bed, and on the way back down, had slipped on the games and knocked them all down on top of Caellum below and then caught himself on the ground with is right hand. He was holding his hand and crying and saying, "Ow," It just didn't look right. My first thought was that he had broken his wrist, but I thought, "No, that couldn't happen!" We took him to dad and we watched him for a few minutes to see if the pain would go away in his arm. JayC could move Callister's hand around and it didn't hurt too bad, but once he got to his arm, he would cry harder. After a few minutes, he said, "I'm really tired. I want to go to sleep." But he was still cradling his arm and wasn't able to calm down, so we decided to go take him to Urgent Care and get him x-rayed just in case.

So back to Urgent Care I went! We called grandma Danna to come stay with the other boys, so JayC could meet me there. After we got there, Callister was still crying, but he walked over to the couch in the waiting room and laid down and went to sleep. Poor kid! He stayed asleep through the whole time we were there! I carried him back to the x-ray room and the nurse took some pictures of his arm. Turns out he broke both bones in his arm above the wrist. They both broke mostly, but not all the way through the bones. The doctor said that since Callister is young and his bones are still softer, they will heal within 6 weeks and within a year, an x-ray won't even show there was ever a break. Pretty cool. They put a temporary splint cast on his arm, and in a few days we'll go back in to get the real cast put on. We all had a good laugh about us coming in for the second time that day! The doctor gave us a prescription for some powerful painkillers and then woke up Callister to make sure he didn't have a concussion or any head trauma. Then we left. Callister slept for most of the afternoon, and then when I finally got home with his pain killers, we gave him those, and he was able to play sitting in bed for awhile and icing is arm. He slept really well, which is a blessing, cuz the doctor said the first night would be the most painful for him. But he slept all night (except when we woke him to give him more medicine) and was running around and playing Sunday morning. He's mostly pain-free now, but I have to remind him to be careful not to hit his arm on stuff when he's playing! He also slept more than usual yesterday afternoon, but it's amazing how these little bodies heal so quickly! I'm so thankful that he's okay and that his arm will heal quickly. Our first broken bones in this family! I'd be okay if it never happens again! (Knock on wood!)      

  
Saturday afternoon after painkillers kicked in.

We knew he was fine once he started acting silly again!
 And here's just some pictures from before all the fun mess happened!

Connell showing off how strong he is!

A cute picture of Caellum saying, "Cheese!"

Connell at a birthday party showing off his 'stache.'
I'm so thankful for my strong, healthy boys! I'm very blessed to be able to be their mama!

1 comment:

Emmy Montez said...

Well, that was quite the day! Its strange how things seem to happen all at once. I'm so glad that it will heal well. Cutie pie boys...

baby

Together Forever

Connell Celebration